Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Nicole Kelly is Miss Iowa!


What a neat story, Nicole Kelly, a young woman born without part of her left arm, has become Miss Iowa! She discovered the stage was the perfect way to get her message across.
"I found I could tell people it was acceptable to stare," she said. "It was the place that was kind of an outlet for me, a place I could stand up and be myself, and say, 'Here I am, and I'm confident in myself." The 23-year-old performed the Broadway hit song from "Defying Gravity" from "Wicked" as her pageant talent. Her platform: "Overcoming Disabilities."

"A year ago, I certainly didn't see 'pageant titleholder' in my future. Perhaps I didn't originally envision this path, but I now know that being Miss Iowa is the perfect fit for me, and I feel so blessed to be surrounded by people who have encouraged me every step of the way," she writes in her Miss Iowa biography.

Kelly aspires to be a Broadway stage manager. She graduated from the Johnny Carson School of Theatre and Film at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln last year.

Her parents told WHBF they couldn't be prouder.

No comments:

Post a Comment